The key to a successful smile is protecting your smile from oral health risks that may present themselves to you in your day to day life. Keep your smile strong this summer by avoiding these oral health hazards. Listed below are a few common hazards to your smile, as well as a few tips to help prevent them from taking place:
– Always circumvent bad habits such as smoking and chewing tobacco, and recreational drugs, and never use your mouth as a bottle opener, as this is an easy way to chip and crack teeth.
– If you play contact sports or partake in high-risk activities, be sure to wear headgear or mouthguards to protect your smile.
– Avoid chomping on objects such as pens and pencils, as they can cause a TMJ disorder in your jaw or loosen or crack a tooth.
– Avoid tough and thick foods that crack your teeth, such as hard candies, ice, corn on the cob, and corn kernels.
– Avoid wearing mouth jewelry, as it can be a choking risk, chip and crack teeth, and cause infections.
If you think your teeth could use a little extra work and would like to have a professional exam from our team at Stanley Hometown Dentistry LLC, simply book an appointment at our dentist office in Stanley, Wisconsin, by calling us at 715-644-3601. Dr. James Gunelson and the rest of our team would be glad to take care of any oral health care needs you may have.